Choosing a Perfect Chair for Long Working Hours
As business processes and functions undergo more automation, professionals remain less on their feet and more on their workstations, sitting for long hours. While this is a primary requirement of modern workspaces, they can prove to be physiologically harmful in the long run. That why ergonomic chairs have become the most essential aspect of a working environment today.
Before we get to learn about the right chairs for long work hours, let us understand what ergonomic refers to in the first place. The word ‘Ergonomics’ comes from the Greek concept which translates to ‘comfort’ or anything that comforts to the body. Hence, ergonomically designed furniture aligns with your body and its comfort needs, thus reducing the risk of injury from constant physical strain and stress, or what we medically know as RSI (repetitive strain injury).
When choosing an office chair for long working hours, pay attention to these aspects of the furniture to conform to ergonomic needs.
This is one of the major causes of strains and is often ignored. The height of your office chair should be easily adjustable, with the help of a pneumatic lever. Typically, a set height that ranges from 16 to 21 inches from the floor, is ideal for most people, based on average heights of people. The idea is to keep the feet flat on the floor, the thighs horizontal on the seats but not angular, and arms at the height of the desk.
Depth and height of the seat
The seat of your chair should be wide and deep enough to support you comfortably. The depth of the seat should be enough for you to rest your back against the backrest of the chair and the width should be between 17-20 inches. Also, make sure that there is a two to four inches gap between the back of your knees and the seat.
This is one of the most important aspects of an ergonomic chair. The lumbar or the lower back curves inward and hence requires specific support on your chair so your back doesn’t slouch and strain the lower spine. An ergonomic chair comes with proper lumbar adjustment so it can support the inward curve of your lower back.
The backrest of your chair and lumbar support go hand in hand and should be between 12 to 19 inches wide. If you have a chair with detachable backrest, then it should be easily adjustable in height and angle and support the natural curve of your spine. If the backrest is fixed, then you should also check for the back and forth swing of the chair which can also help in providing the right support.
While it might not so significant apparently, the seat material of your chair plays an important role in providing you the right comfort and support. Make sure that there is enough padding to support your hips and thighs for extended periods. Also, it is better if the fabric is of breathable material to keep your seating more hygienic.
Since we spend most of our day at our workplaces, it is important to pay attention to the physical conditions our body undergoes at work. To avoid any major injury, in the long run, ensure that you invest in an ergonomic chair and the best computer chair for long hours and adopt a good posture of seating.
Thank you for reading our blog, you can also view our more blog here:
- Make you’re outdoor simply good looking for Lakdi furniture
- Restaurants and banquets decorating ideas that will leave a major impression
- Tips to maintain wooden furniture
- Luxury furniture that adds a touch of beauty to your office
- Commitment to extraordinary quality & services
- Start a business in lighting installation
- Ways to beautify your outdoor spaces
- 5 ways to enhance your workplace
- Interior decorating tips for any spending budget
- An introduction to our auditorium, railways stations and airports furniture
- When you buy from Lakdi, you buy peace of mind
- Tips on home furniture purchasing and proper care
- A new furniture company in India
- Lakdi educational furniture that really cares about your back
- How has furniture played an important role in human life
- How a good desk can help organize your work and your space
- Important factors to consider when buying food court furniture
- Lakdi-your one-stop source for all your school furniture needs
- 7 Advantages of having wooden furniture at site offices
- A process of Lakdi: The house of desirable furniture
- Enjoying the great outdoors in style
- 5 Incredibly simple and inexpensive design tips to refresh your institutes
- Furnishing your office with eco-friendly furniture
- An essential guide to arrange beautiful and stylish living room