A Guide to choosing the right fabric for furniture
Believe it or not, the perfect upholstery fabric for your furniture is an investment. You cannot leave it to chance and end up finding the wrong material or wrong color. Any second thoughts after a few months of installation, and you would end up spending a fortune on your furniture or live with your bad choice for years to come. You don’t want to do that. That is why it is important to do your groundwork well before you get down to choosing the fabrics for your sofa, chairs or anything that requires an upholstery job, you can also see our Lakdi upholstery fabric online.
We bring you a comprehensive guide to help you assess your needs and make the right choice.
Functionality and durability
The first question you need to ask and answer yourself is ‘who will use the particular piece/pieces of furniture’ and ‘how much will it be used’. For example, if you have pets or kids or both, then your fabrics should be more functional and durable. Also, living room furniture needs more durable fabrics since they are used the most, than in bedrooms or lounging areas. Contrastingly, if you are single or a young couple, then you can take the liberty of fine fabrics. Also, when choosing the fabric, check for jacquard weaves which tend to be more tightly woven and have higher thread counts, making the fabric last longer. For luxurious seating and occasional use, you can go for cotton, velvet, leather, leatherette or even silk.
The color that fits in
The color of the upholstery fabric is perhaps the most important decision that you have to take with your furniture. And it should be. Because you will be living with that color in your house for a long time. The furniture color (fabric mostly) like your wall color (and every piece of décor) reflects the characteristics of your home and your personality. While choosing the color of fabrics see what fits in with the theme, size of your room, and the purpose it serves. For instance, if you have a house with pets and/or kids then it is better to avoid delicate and sensitive colors. Avoid using bold and dark colors for smaller rooms. Consider the color temperature to create an overall ambiance. Trending shades can be a risky choice and can date faster than you would expect. Neutrals, solids, or fine prints are usually safe to use.
Besides the color, type, and functionality, here are a few more things to consider while choosing the furniture fabric –
- Check for fade resistance, especially if your furniture is exposed to direct sunlight.
- Check for mildew/mold resistance if you live in a warm, tropical climate.
- Check for allergen-free fabrics for homes with infants and toddlers.
This guide can only help you get an overview of what to expect when you sit down to decide on what fabric to pick for your furniture.
Apart from this, use a little creativity, go beyond the swatches and conventional ideas, run a trial before you buy, and focus on the piece of the furniture and make your best assessment. After all, a piece of furniture is an integral part of your interiors that will go a long way with you and define who you are.
Thank you for reading our blog, you can also view our more blog here:
- Make you’re outdoor simply good looking for Lakdi furniture
- Restaurants and banquets decorating ideas that will leave a major impression
- Tips to maintain wooden furniture
- Luxury furniture that adds a touch of beauty to your office
- Commitment to extraordinary quality & services
- Start a business in lighting installation
- Ways to beautify your outdoor spaces
- 5 ways to enhance your workplace
- Interior decorating tips for any spending budget
- An introduction to our auditorium, railways stations and airports furniture
- When you buy from Lakdi, you buy peace of mind
- Tips on home furniture purchasing and proper care
- A new furniture company in India
- Lakdi educational furniture that really cares about your back
- How has furniture played an important role in human life
- How a good desk can help organize your work and your space
- Important factors to consider when buying food court furniture
- Lakdi-your one-stop source for all your school furniture needs
- 7 Advantages of having wooden furniture at site offices
- A process of Lakdi: The house of desirable furniture
- Enjoying the great outdoors in style
- 5 Incredibly simple and inexpensive design tips to refresh your institutes
- Furnishing your office with eco-friendly furniture
- An essential guide to arrange beautiful and stylish living room